Wednesday, July 23, 2008

So far this summer

We have been very busy in The Little Jewels Kitchen this summer. I have blanched and frozen 18 quarts of broccoli and the same amount of pea pods. With more to come. Also as previously stated in my blog asparagus and spinach. I have made over 2o containers of strawberry jam and have frozen 10 quarts of them as well and 1 quart of cherries. This is were I left off before I went on vacation.
Today was my first farmers market trip since we have been back and boy did I have fun there. It was the last day for cherries from my favorite cherry vendor and so I bought 2 lugs of cherries. I know what was I thinking I have now pitted one lug with purple fingers to prove it and I have 70 Cups of cherries to freeze!!! In one phone call I have given half of the other lug away(thanks mom) and now I have requests to make cherry jam and so more fun in the kitchen. I am grateful I have such willing participants to help me with all of my kitchen adventures(thanks honey and kiddos).
I also have started collecting my potato supply for the year in a bushel basket provided by mom(thanks again mom). We also will be blueberry picking soon enough and then onto peaches-yum! yum!
I am often asked how do I have time for all of this when I have 3 little ones to take care of? They help. They wash the broccoli, destem pea pods, help pit cherries, crush strawberries, label bags, fill bags and the list goes on. It truly is a family affair and I wouldn't have it any other way!

No comments: